This delicious Coppa Mascarpone was a recipe I learned while being stationed in Italy. It is literally translated “cup of Mascarpone”…sounds more exotic in Italian right? It’s a simple and satisfying dessert that, like most things, is made even better with coffee!
- 6 room temperature eggs (takes about 30 minutes)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 16 oz mascarpone
- pinch salt (1/16 teaspoon)
- smidgen cream of tartar (1/32 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup espresso coffee (double shot)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Mix the 2 Tablespoons of cocoa and 2 Tablespoons of sugar into the 1/2 cup of espresso. Set aside in the fridge.
- Warm all mixing bowls in a sink full of hot water. (About 5-10 minutes.)
- Dry bowls completely.
- Divide egg yolks and egg whites into the two bowls. Whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt and a smidgen of cream of tartar until firm mounds form.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- In the second bowl, beat the egg yolks.
- Add, in order, one at a time, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, and then the mascarpone.
- Fold in the egg white mixture.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of coffee/chocolate mixture that you previously put in the fridge.
- Mix until well combined. The mixture will be quite thick.
- Divide into 8-10 bowls and place in the freezer for up to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with drizzle of coffee mixture, cocoa powder and cookies or fruit.