The coffee flavor in this recipe is subtle, but adds depth and character to compliment the beef. We used the Laos Peaberry, but you can use whatever coffee you have on hand. We tried a few different methods and this was our favorite. Check out http://dcwcasing.com/ for more inspirational ideas.
The Inspiration Behind This Recipe…
I had something similar to this recipe at a restaurant a few years ago, so when I was approached by Nancy to help with the Recipes page, I was delighted to try my hand at creating my own. Please feel free to try it out and leave a review in the comments!
- 1.5 to 2 lb Steak - Flank Steak is a good choice
- 2 Tbs. Finely ground fresh Mission Arabica coffee
- 1 Tbs. Good quality Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 large Sweet onion, cut in half pole to pole and then into 1/4 in. slices
- 2 sweet Bell Peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4 in slices
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- Flour Tortillas
- Toppings such as Fresh Lime, Cilantro, Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream
- Mix together freshly ground coffee and chili powder in a small bowl. Rub entire mixture onto all sides of the flank steak, coating well and using all of it.
- Place coated steak on a plate and refrigerate - uncovered - 6-8 hours or overnight.
- 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Prep onions and peppers and add to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and saute until cooked to desired tenderness (15 to 20 minutes).
- Heat outdoor grill on high. Remove steak from refrigerator and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook steak on grill until medium...or less if you prefer it more rare. Medium is about 6 minutes per side. Do not overcook steak or it will be tough. Remove from heat and rest on plate, slightly covered for 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking warm your tortillas and set out all your toppings.
- After steak has rested 5 minutes, slice on the bias (at an angle) into very thin strips - 1/8 inch is best - and serve immediately.
- To serve, take a warm tortilla, add desired amount of steak and sauteed onions / peppers. Add toppings as desired. Enjoy!